Wanted Persons


Got Questions for Brimfield PD? We've Got Answers!

Welcome to our FAQ’s page where you will find answers to the most commonly asked questions.

  • How do I apply for a police officer position with Brimfield PD?

    We only hire applicants who have already graduated from a certified Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy. First, you must submit an BPD application/resume to the department. When we are hiring, we will review the applicants on file, and if selected, you will be contacted to submit a comprehensive follow-up background package coupled with an interview with members of command staff   These are the first steps of our process. Our Department may make full-time hires from outside the Department or from current part-time and/or reserve police officers of the Brimfield Police Department. Click on the “Employment” link on the home page of our web site, or visit Discover Policing, where we will advertise when we are hiring.


  • Are your officers allowed to violate the speed limit or go through red lights when responding to a call?

    Section 4511.041 of the Ohio Revised Code provides an exemption to emergency or public safety vehicles for certain traffic laws. The exemption does not relieve the public official for operating with due regard for the safety of other motorists. There are times when officers may deactivate their siren when responding to a call for tactical reasons. Officers sometimes respond to calls where the audible notification of police presence may put themselves, or those they are trying to provide assistance to, in danger.


  • How do I get my car out of impound?

    You can retrieve your car from impound at BPD between the hours of 9AM-5PM Monday-Friday, and 9AM-12PM Saturdays/Sundays. There is an after-hours fee of $35 that will apply to any released vehicles outside of this time frame.
    The owner of the vehicle must be present, or, you must provide a notarized letter from the owner providing permission for someone other than the owner to pick up the vehicle. You must also provide a paid towing receipt and photo identification, and pay any applicable storage fees, which are:
    • $25.00 a day for personal cars
    • $50 a day for commercial vehicles
    • $50 a day for commercial trailers
    • $100 a day for semis/dumps/garbage trucks
    • $100 a day for semi-trailers
  • How can I report a traffic related problem in my neighborhood?

    Please call the police department’s non-emergency number at 330-673-7716 and report the circumstances.

    Please provide basic information about the problem and when it occurs. The information will be forwarded to the Patrol Units for response and follow-up.


  • Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?

    Yes!  Like all communities, the Brimfield Police Department depends upon our residents calling to report crimes and suspicious activity, as you are “eyes and ears” out in our community.  In an emergency situation dial 9-1-1. In a non-emergency situation dial 330-677-1234 to report the criminal or suspicious activity.

    The Dispatcher will ask you basic questions that will assist responding officers in effectively handling the call.

  • Why can’t officers resolve or intervene in a civil matter?

    Officers generally do not become actively involved in civil disputes, as they are not empowered by state statute to do so. These incidents are best dealt with by contacting a private attorney or the courthouse. However, do not hesitate to call for an officer in any situation if unsure, as he/she may recommend some options available to you.

  • What can I do about barking dogs – dog complaints in my neighborhood?

    If the animal appears to be an immediate threat to persons, dial 911.   If you believe that the animal is a nuisance, dial 330-677-1234 to report the situation. The Dispatcher will ask you basic questions that will assist the responding officer.  The officer will inform the dog owner and attempt to resolve the problem.  If the officer is unable to remedy the issue or believes that further investigation is necessary, they will forward the call to the Portage County Dog Warden so that proper action can be sought. Because Brimfield is a township, we do not have a noise ordinance or a barking dog ordinance.

  • Can I have an officer check a license plate for me?

    No. Under state and federal laws it is prohibited for an officer to use law enforcement databases for personal use. The computer systems can only be used as an aid in an investigation, and that information can only be shared with other law enforcement personnel.

  • How do I obtain a copy of a report?

    In Person

    Completed and approved reports are generally available within five (5) days following the filing of the report in person at the police department between 7AM-3PM Monday-Friday, holidays excluded.  There is no charge for a copy up through 25 pages.

    By Mail 

    Completed and approved reports can be mailed out to you, provided you send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to the police department in advance (Attention: Records).


    Completed and approved accident reports are available online at www.brimfieldpolice.com  Click on the Accident Reports database link on the homepage there.

    To inquire further regarding the availability of a report, please contact the Admin. Asst. between 7AM-3PM Monday-Friday at 330-673-7716.

    While most records are open for public viewing, there are some exceptions:

    1. Certain information may be redacted from reports in accordance with current Ohio public records laws.  A good example of this would be social security numbers.
    2. Cases which are currently under active prosecution may not be released by this department.  Requests for copies of these reports shall be referred to the Portage County Prosecutor’s Office for disclosure under “discovery” proceedings in accordance with the Ohio Revised Code.
    3. Cases under active investigation containing sensitive information which if released may jeopardize the successful investigation of the case, or may cause an uncharged suspect to flee, may be withheld.

    These are some general guidelines.  Our goal is to release records in the vast majority of requests.

  • Do you know why the power, cable or telephone is out?

    No.  The Brimfield Police Department is not notified of this information by utility companies.  You would need to contact the individual utility company directly for that specific information.  Ohio Edison maintains a 24-hour telephone number (1-888-544-4877) for reporting or inquiring on a power outage.

  • I just received a traffic citation. How do I pay that?

    Payment for traffic citations is made through the Kent Municipal Court, not at the Brimfield Police Department.  The court can be contacted by phone at 330-678-9100.  Additionally, traffic citations that are eligible for waiver by mail may also be paid online through the Portage County courts web site.  Go to www.co.portage.oh.us and click the link for “pay court costs and fines”   

  • If I call the Brimfield Police for a record check, what will you do?

    Upon request, we will check our local records for any reports.  Such record checks are done within records maintained by the Brimfield Police Department only, and do not involve records which may be on file with other agencies or the courts.

    A search of all court records within Portage County may be completed at www.co.portage.oh.us.  Click on the link for “court links.”

  • How do I report drug related activity to the authorities?

    Help the Brimfield Police Department address the problem of illegal drugs in our area.  If you suspect someone is participating in illegal drug activity, please notify the Portage County Drug Task Force at 330-296-8626, or by email at pdtaskforce@sbcglobal.net.  You may remain anonymous if you wish.

  • A solicitor came to my home today. Are solicitors allowed in Brimfield?

    Solicitors in the township are required to obtain a permit issued through the Brimfield Police Department, known as a Transient Vendor permit, by completing an application form.  They will need to supply us with a copy of their vendors license (issued through Portage County courts), a certification that they have $100,000 in liability insurance, pay a $75 fee, and provide a copy of their Ohio driver’s license.  Once issued, this permit is good for ninety (90) days, and a copy of the approved transient vendor certificate is supplied to the person and also kept on file at BPD.

  • I have a complaint regarding a BPD Officer. What should I do?

    The Brimfield Police Department takes pride in the service we provide to our community.  Sometimes, there is a legitimate question or inquiry regarding what an officer did, our policies, or why an officer did or did not take a particular action (ex: why did an officer tow my vehicle?).  Often times, an explanation by a supervisor can resolve most of these questions, so the first step is to contact the department and ask to speak with the officer’s Sergeant.  If that does not resolve the matter to your satisfaction, the supervisor will arrange for you to complete a written complaint form outlining the specifics of your complaint.

  • How can I commend a member of the Brimfield Police Department?

    Just like you, our staff appreciates the positive reinforcement that comes with being recognized for doing a good job.  If you have come into contact with a member of the Brimfield Police Department and feel that the level of service they gave was  quality, please let us know by one of the following methods:

    1. By telephone by calling the police department at 330-673-7716 and speaking to the on-duty supervisor
    2. By email to:  rmosley@brimfieldpolice.com
    3. By mail by sending a letter to:  Chief Roy Mosley III, Brimfield Police Department, 1287 Tallmadge Road, Kent, OH.  44240
  • I need to be fingerprinted for employment or for volunteering. Where is this done?

    For civilian background checks, you must use a web based electronic printing system called Webcheck.  This service is available to residents of our community at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles located in The Cascades of Brimfield, or, at the Portage County Sheriffs Department on Infirmary Rd.   You may contact the Sheriffs Department at 330-296-5100 for the dates/times this fingerprinting service is available there.

  • How do I obtain a restraining order?

    Restraining orders are not issued by law enforcement agencies, and the police department cannot enforce a restraining order by arrest.  Violating a restraining order is a civil matter, and is addressed by filing against the violating party in civil court. Consult with a private attorney regarding obtaining a restraining order.

    Temporary Protection Orders (TPO’s) are issued through the Portage County courts for specific instances of Domestic Violence and Stalking.  Civil Protection Orders (CPO’s) are issued following the filing of a petition in the Portage County Domestic Relations Court.  Both of these specific types of court orders may be enforceable by arrest.  Contact Portage County Victim’s Assistance at 330-297-3850 for further information regarding TPO’s and CPO’s

  • How do I find out about sex offenders in my neighborhood?

    Each county sheriff’s department in the state of Ohio maintains an online list of registered sex offenders within their respective county. Click Here to see sex offender records within Portage County and to receive email alert notifications.

  • What is the grace period for my driver’s license expiration?

    There is no “grace” period for your driver’s license.  It expires on the date noted on your driver’s license, and you may be cited for having an expired driver’s license.  You may renew your driver’s license up to 90 days prior to the expiration date.

  • Are Brimfield Police Officers under a “quota” for writing citations?

    No.  Brimfield Police Officers are not under “quotas.”  Officers will conscientiously enforce Ohio traffic laws, and may also undertake enforcement actions based upon accident data, and or specific complaint areas within our community.